Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Amber Teething Necklace

Apparently Baltic Amber is great for teething, and it's quite popular in Europe for children to wear amber teething necklaces. So I made one for my teething wee man:



It's a clasp-free necklace, so that if it catches it will slide off without injury, plus it's on steel wire, which is so strong standard jewellery cutters won't cut through. So I don't have to worry about breakage and beads flying anywhere. Here's it being modelled (the flash went off hence some of the beads have a "glow effect"):



Baltic Amber is not actually a gemstone, but is in fact a fossilised resin that is estimated to be 50 millon years old. Because I've sourced my amber from a jewellery supplier, I chosen A grade amber beads, so some of them may have been heat treated to remove bubbles and factures.

Next Project: Hubby's ring is still on the cards, plus I've promised little miss nearly 4 a pink Cinderella bracelet. I've just gotten in some delightful sterling silver carriage charms, just like Cinderella's. Plus some pink swarvoski crystals that come with my amber order.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie, I cant see the photos, is there something I need to do to see the. love mum

ChookMook said...

Ohh...I can see them fine. I know that there is quite a few problems sometimes with blogger (being free and all).

Anonymous said...

I've got them now. They're really lovely.