Thursday, April 26, 2007

New pants

Yesterday I made some new pants from left over fabric for two year old Xavier. I hand painted them with screen printing inks with the ChookMook birdie (excuse the grubby kid marks already on them).

Xavier's homesewn handpainted comfy cotton pants

Closeup of hand painted ChookMook birdie

And here they are in action:

Xavier's homesewn paints in action


Xavier's homesewn pants in action

I am finally feeling the love for my sewing machine, and have already cut out another pair to sew from some left over hemp jersey fabric - thanks to a huge stash I have from my cloth diaper WAHM days. I am hoping to progress to buying some fabric soon, as I'd like to make some cord winter pants with contrast fabric like the ones I've seen on Tiny Happy, which you can probably see in her Etsy store.

I used a pyjama pattern from Burda (can't remember pattern number of top of my head) as my googling around the craft blog scene showed the love for a good basic pj pant pattern. They are comfy, fit good around the butt and generally are well suited for a nice fit over modern cloth diapers.

Here is a photo tutorial on FlickR for recycling an adult shirt into pants and using the exisiting hem and side seams - super duper quick and easy, especially if there's a cool screenprint on the shirt.

And another tutorial here with lots of photos showing how quick and easy it can be including
dressing them up with fancy cuffs and pockets too.